4 Exercises to Improve Your Dancer’s à la Seconde Working Leg
•Leaving rib cage down and low back glued to the floor, extend one leg out about 3 inches from the floor
•Extend the opposite arm above your head toward the back wall
•With the other hand, press against the thigh of the bent leg.
•Hold for a breath.
•Switch legs and hands.
Passe Side Plank
• Begin in a side plank on your elbows with the bottom knee bent for support.
• Keeping hips lifted, bring the top leg to parallel passé
• Open to a turned out passé
• Developpe the leg
• Reverse the movements to get back to the starting position.
Repetitions and Modifications:
Repeat 5 times on each side or 30 seconds each side if doing circuits
[+] Plank on your hands and add a cone under your hips to keep them lifted.
Hip Flexion March
• Lying on your back, lift one leg 4-6 inches off the ground.
• Hinging at the hip, draw your knee up towards your chest creating a 90 degree bend in your knee.
• Straighten your leg, still hovering 4-6 inches off the ground.
• In first position, plie the standing leg, extend one leg out in-front of you, to the side and behind. Reverse from the back to the front 5 reps before switching sides[+] Add a band for extra resistance and to watch hip alignment