How your Dancers can Score 10 out of 10 on Placement and Control
• In a high plank position, lift one arm out wide to the side, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
• Place your hand back to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side.
Repeat 10-12 reps each side.
Why is ankle strength important for dancers?
Just like we want your dancer’s upper body to move quickly and sharply, we want their skills to explode off the floor in one piece, land quickly and then move into the next movement all on a dime.
Your dancer’s ankles are a key player in their stability. The more stable your dancers are, the more control they’ll have.
Much like a game of Jenga, keeping the bottom stacked and secure is the best way to keep the tower from crumbling.
This applies to your dancers.
Taking the time to work on ankle strength is going to give them more consistency in their turns and skills, and keep their ankles safe from the impact of their dancing.
My favorite ankle strengthening exercise and one you can do daily is a leg swing.
• Before you begin, find stability on one leg. Spread out your toes and grip the floor as if you’re a monkey getting ready to climb a tree.
• Place your hands on your hips.
• Lift the other leg off the floor just a few inches and straighten the knee.
• Swing the leg side to side, and then front to back.
• 10 times in each direction
• Switch legs and repeat three times .
[+] Do in Relevé
[-] Hold on to wall or barre
Why is a stronger core for your dancers important?
• Begin laying on your back with hands gently pressing rib cage down and knees tucked in toward chest.
• Leaving rib cage down and low back glued to the floor, extend one leg out about 3 inches from the floor
• Extend the opposite arm above your head toward the back wall
• With the other hand, press against the thigh of the bent leg.
• Hold for a breath.
• Switch legs and hands.
Repeat 8 times on each leg.
|If you’re interested in raising your scores, be sure you read this blog post about solving the bent knee problem to improve your technique scores.|